Friday, July 5, 2019

THE KINDNESS AND GRATITUDE






For so many years I have wanted to be part of an eyecare mission.  I feel very fortunate to share this experience in Peru with my daughter, Sydney with the TWECS organization. It is a great experience for our children to learn other cultures, volunteering and the reality of hard work. 
We have been examining eyes at a school for the past 3 days. The children are so happy and give you lots of hugs and kisses.  I have enjoyed watching Sydney help and interact with the children.


I have been surprised how strong some of the prescriptions for the students have been and how much need there is for glasses here.   It is an amazing feeling and hard to describe putting on a child’s first pair of glasses and their expression on their face.

Today there was a 76 year old lady I examined which touched my heart. She made myself, Sydney and the interpreter cry. Telling us how she hasn’t been able to see for years and how happy she was that we were able to help her. She was having difficulties seeing the money properly when working in the market.  The kindness and gratitude of the Peruvian people makes our work so worthwhile.
I am very grateful to be part of such a great group of volunteers- team TWECS

Dr. Christine Chatten, Kimberly BC

1 comment:

  1. Way to go Christine! Thanks for sharing .... keep it coming! Heather

    ReplyDelete