Friday, July 5, 2019

FAMILY WITHIN A COUPLE OF DAYS


After many years of running eye care clinics in Canada, I have my first opportunity to help overseas, here in Peru; I am utterly amazed both at the good: the friendliness of the people and their willingness to help this group from TWECS (more on that shortly) and the bad: the extreme poverty and lack of resources we take for granted every day in Canada, such as running water! The traffic is indescribable, and you have to believe in a higher power after seeing intersections where cars, buses, pedestrians, dogs, and bicycles approach from all directions at breakneck speed and yet manage to avoid catastrophic (or even minor 🤣) bangups. This group I am with has become a family within a couple of days, helping and showing genuine concern for and interest in in each other. I can call them friends, with a common direction and sense of purpose. I would not give up this journey for anything, and hope to be able to continue in future years. 

Thomas Weissberger, 
National Director-Group Mission Operations, Essilor Canada




No comments:

Post a Comment