Monday, July 8, 2019

CHEF FOR THE DAY



We are staying in a boutique style hotel in Lince, Lima. The second day, I took a peek at their kitchen – tiny, functional, and the best part is – without the presence of a snobbish chef. I was inspired and felt that a hot wholesome homestyle dinner would be something the mission members would need. With the help of Marina, we managed to convince the hotel to let me use the kitchen – on two conditions – for one dinner only, and that I start preparation some time in the afternoon.
The day came (two days ago), and I managed to finish all the shopping in the local market by noon but was only able to get access to the kitchen by 3:30pm. I was lucky enough to have Carlos and Jose (or Juan) from the hotel to help me. Then the shocking news came. “no hay agua, Señor.” What do you mean, there’s no water? Took me a while to realize that the water rationing is in effect in the afternoon. My first course is vegetable soup! We managed to try and get the remaining reserved water from the tap, which took about half an hour to fill up the soup pot. What a nightmare! Anyway, the meal turned out fine but the experience was something I will never forget. I think the mission members liked it, as there was not much leftover. There’s always an opportunity to add a bit of spice in our lives. Pardon the pun.

This is my second mission with TWECS. Although I’m a bit more experienced, the emotion and gratification are just as intense. It was also encouraging to see many young and  energetic girls at the school we spent three days at. Hopefully, with better education, they will not grow up as another ama de casa (housewife) with five kids from different men, as we encountered last year in Costa Rica.

In Jicamarca and Canto Grande, I was reminded that, living in our own comfortable surrounding where most people are often overly concerned with what they want and desire, we’ve sometimes forgotten that many people in some other parts of the world can only have very little of what they need. I’m grateful to have the opportunity to share some of our blessings that we often take for granted.

Kenson Ho
Vancouver, BC

1 comment:

  1. Hi guys,I would recommend a great sunglasses seller on Amazon I have bought and used for years,offering amazing high quality Fashion Sunglasses for Men, Women, Boys & Girls.

    You can find great choices from this best design Sunglasses collection: https://fashionsunglasses2019.fashion.blog/

    ReplyDelete