Monday, July 8, 2019

NUMERO DIEZ


This is my second eye care mission to Peru and tenth overall. What makes this one extra exciting, is that I was able to bring my 15 year-old daughter, Teagan, along for the experience. Since she and her brother were very little, “Mom” has been disappearing for at least two weeks a year to help others who live remotely and don’t have access to eye care and glasses. This isn’t easy on the family who are left behind and I’m very appreciative for a supportive husband who knows how important these trips are to me. Now she, too, understands the joy these trips bring to everyone involved. She also has the opportunity to see how others live and more importantly, to realize how similar we all are as humans, no matter one’s circumstances. 

Working specifically as a volunteer optometrist is the only skill I have that I feel confident about. So I love being here and putting that skill to good use. I was told in 2012, my first mission to Peru, “You are providing dignity to the least wealthy of our people. They are not used to even seeing doctors, let alone having the doctors smile at them, talk to them, and hug them.” Those words have stuck with me ever since. Everyone deserves to feel dignified and if I can do that AND provide glasses to help further their education, help them do their job, and simply improve their quality of life, then I’m all in. 100% of me wants to do that. Hugs from little children and the abuelos and abuelas is the best reward. 

To touch a little on this particular eye care team, I must say that I think they’re all amazing. It’s another perk of these trips- to meet the different people who come together to accomplish great things. The pre-Optometry college students are going to be outstanding doctors. I’m excited for what’s ahead of them. Our youngest OD on the team (who is fluent in Spanish) is a rising star in our field and we are lucky she wants to be involved in mission work. Dr. Brad is not only hilarious and keeps me laughing in the midst of clinic madness, he also has the biggest heart. And of course, the Roma-March family, I will always be thankful our paths crossed in 2016. They are some of the hardest working and most compassionate people I know. 
They say the point of life is to “find your gift and give it away.” I hope that’s what I’m doing. I like to think it is.
Dr. Rita Messing
Michigan USA

No comments:

Post a Comment