Wednesday, July 3, 2019

"ABRAZAME"


Today we visited the schools in Jicamarca. As a volunteer I was given the job of working registration and Visual Acuities (VA's), however  I spent most of my day with at visual acuities.  This, for me is my favourite part of the project. I am given the opportunity to interact with the children and the people and connect with them. I start off by introducing myself “ Hola mi nombre Emma mucho gusto” Hi my name is Emma, nice to meet you. I then ask them their name and how they are and continue on with the exam. One thing I noticed throughout the course of the day is how kind, obedient and respectful the people are. Despite my flawed pronunciation they always cooperate and listen to me with smiles on their faces. As the day progressed my Spanish improved and my confidence increased. I found myself starting conversations with the children and the people and actually understanding their responses. My new favourite Spanish phrase is “Abrazame” which means hug me. Everytime I would see a little kid I would ask them “Abrazame” and they would run to me and hug me. This hug warmed my heart and made the hours of travel and standing on my feet so very worth it. 
Leah and her younger sister Sami at Visual Acuities




Towards the end of the work day I had a special encounter with two little patients. The minute I saw them walk up to my line at VA’s I ran to them and crouched down and said “Hola come te llamas?” They responded with Leah and Sami . I then asked how old they were. “ Cuantos anos tienes?” Leah was 5 and Sami was 3. Sami was wearing a beautiful red sweater so I said to her “ Megusta supollo “ I like your shirt. She smiled at me and told me her mother made it. I then continued on with the exam and finished it off by asking them both for a hug  “Abrazame” . They ran to me and I hugged them both tightly.

About 30 minutes later I saw them walk up to me again, and I ran to them hugged them and asked them how their exam was. They said it was good and Sami held something out to me. I took it and looked at it and it was a beautiful knitted red tank top similar  to the one she was wearing. I asked her what it was for and her mother told me it was for me. My smile was so big that it hurt my face, my heart was warm and I couldn’t hide my happiness. I hugged her and thanked her and she helped me put it on. Not long after Leah handed me a beautiful Peruvian pin.  If I could describe the happiness I felt in words I would but I honestly can’t. No amount of “ gracias” could ever describe the gratitude I felt. It’s moments like these that make this trip so special, it’s moments like these that inspire me to be kind and loving, it’s moments like these that affect me and the person I hope to be when I return home to Canada.  And it’s moments like these that I will never ever forget .
Emma March
Senior Student, St. Thomas More Collegiate, Burnaby BC



2 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Worth my than words. Love u Emma!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You brought me to tears. Auntie Brenda and Uncle Michael are so very proud of you xo

    ReplyDelete