Thursday, July 11, 2019

LOVING OTHERS



Today we returned for our second day at Fe y Alegria school in Canto Grande, arriving to an even longer line of people than yesterday. We were already set up from the day before, started out smoothly and efficiently, and were able to see almost fifty more patients than yesterday.

I felt an added pressure to finish exams quickly so that the patients could watch Peru v. Brazil in the Copa América final, though I won’t go into how the game turned out... One of the most memorable moments of the day for me was finding one of my patients wearing her new glasses and bringing her to watch the game with me on the tiny television at the refreshment stand knowing she would be able to see it! 

I had the pleasure of meeting with a few of my patients after their visits to the dispensary, including my first patient of the day. Lisa brought her back to show me how happy she was and I could not help but to hug her and celebrate her newly improved vision. These moments of celebration happen all throughout our mission and witnessing that moment gave me strong motivation for the day. Watching another woman change from tears of sadness to those of joy after I told her she gets to keep the low vision device I gave her for sewing was another one of those moments. Aside from all we are able to accomplish for our patients visually, we hope to instill in them an understanding of the importance of eye care. This vision mission has been enlightening and encouraging for me to continue forward in this profession and the volunteer opportunities it allows.  

In addition to the special moments we share with our patients, our group has as many memorable moments spent with each other. Whether learning, teaching skills, teaching Spanish, sharing stories, sharing hotel rooms, sharing unusual office spaces, sharing meals, or spending time, we are a strong, united, affectionate group of people with a mutual understanding of the importance of loving others. For this, I could not be more fulfilled. 
By Dr. Elisabeth Hottel, New Mexico

No comments:

Post a Comment